Installing NMR Software
BioPackBioPack is installed as a system package in /vnmr and is activated on a per-user basis as needed.
- A complete BioPack installation only needs to be performed when Varian resets the software to a new base version. Otherwise, you only need to do a BPupdate.
- Before doing an update, rename the already installed versions of BioPack.tgz and BPupdate.tgz in case you have to recover the previous version, which you know was working.
- BioPack.tgz and BPupdate.tgz are located in /vnmr/userlib/psglib
- Follow the installation instructions for doing a system (/vnmr) install
ChemPackChemPack is also activated on a per-user basis
- Use CDs in bottom rightmost drawer next to 800 CPU. Do not use the CDs that came with the system. Use the homemade CDs containing version
- Follow the printout “Linux Installation for VnmrJ, rev H1206, located in Varian’s “VnmrJ 2.1B Installation and Administration” manual.
Enable 2nd Ethernet Card
- get driver file tg3-3.71b-1.src.rpm
- as root, install the RPM package using
- # rpm -ivh tg3-3.71b-1.src.rpm
- cd to the RPM path and build driver for running kernel using
- # cd /usr/src/redhat
- # rpmbuild -bb SPECS/tg3.spec
- install the built package using
- # rpm -ivh RPMS/x86_64/tg3-3.71b-1.x86_64.rpm
- The drivers will be installed in /lib/modules/
- Load the driver using
- # insmod t33.ko OR # modprobe tg3
Enable Widescreen LCD Monitor
- first get driver file NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run.sh
- at login screen on CPU
- press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
- login as root (may need to press Alt-F1)
- kill all processes related to x
- then kill X
- answer questions to not debug X
- sh NVIDIA...
- then reboot
- open display->config window
- select Nvidia Quadro 4 (Genesis)
- select LCD 1920 x ...
- logout then login
- display -> set to 1920 resolution
- in term window, execute nvidia-xconfig (all as one word)
- logout then login
- Use control panel to set nvidia X-server settings:
- Xserver display config
- resolution 1920 x 1200
- color depth=millions
- save to x-config file
Installing VnmrJVnmrJ is relatively stable, but it may be necessary to reinstall VnmrJ if the software becomes corrupted. However, an apparent software problem may actually be caused by a hardware malfunction.
Note: if only one user is having problems, reinitialize that user’s account using vnmrj-admin as when creating a new user.
- use the CDs located in bottom rightmost drawer next to 800 CPU.
- if this is a reinstall, install into a new directory and use “ln -s” to change /vnmr link to point to different installations.
- follow the instructions in Varian’s “VnmrJ 2.1B Installation and Administration” manual.